Well, I did it. I joined the 21st century. I realise that probably happened when my books appeared as ebooks on Amazon. It might also have happened when I started being allowed to submit queries by email. Or, I might have considered myself ‘modern’ the first time I Skyped. But no, today outstripped all my other technological advances. Today I signed a Kindlegraph!
Firstly, a BIG thank you to the girls at Mary Ryans. They’re very organised and incredibly enthusiastic, which made me feel much more confident about the signing itself. Not as many people showed as I would have liked but we did sell about half the copies the bookshop had ordered, so that’s a good start. One of them went to a young girl named Charlotte who loves English and wants to be a writer. I’m very excited by that.
I guess the rules for signings are the same as with everything else I’ve written with only slight variations.
- Get there early to help set up.
- Bring a pretty tablecloth and any other promo gear you desire.
- Don’t sit, stand so that you can walk around and meet people.
- Have a chat, be personable and enthusiastic and people will appreciate your efforts
- Take photos. (I’m always really bad at remembering this bit so there are only a couple to post here!)
Anyway, that was today. Tomorrow is the gala launch in Melbourne. I’ll try to keep you updated from there! Meantime, keep reading and writing.